Jalapeño-Bacon Skillet Cornbread
1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
6 slices bacon, finely chopped
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
6 Tbs unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 cup honey
2-3 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
1. Preheat oven to 400F. whisk the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, cake flour,
baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and set aside
2. Put the bacon in a 12 inch cast iron skillet on medium heat and cook, stirring
occasionally, until the bacon is browned and crisp, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to
a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the fat in the skillet.
3. Add the diced onion to the hot skillet and cook, stirring until translucent, about
4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Transfer mixture to a separate
plate and set aside. Keep the skillet over low heat.
4. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, honey and jalapeños in another large bowl;
add onion and garlic mix and whisk to combine; Add the wet ingredients to the flour
mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Do not over mix.
5. Brush bottom and side of skillet with the fat left in it. (add more butter, if needed)
Carefully add the batter (it should sizzle) and sprinkle the bacon evenly on top. Transfer
the skillet to the oven and bake until the top is deep golden brown and a toothpick
inserted into the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes to serve.